Sunol Community Park
a.k.a. Sunol Depot
The Sunol Community Park has been created over the years by
the efforts of the Sunol Business Guild and the Pacific Locomotive
Association. It is currently managed and maintained by the Friends
of the Park, a group of volunteers committed to "a park for the
benefit of the people of Sunol."
Located at the junction of Main St. and Kilkare, across
from the Niles Canyon Railroad Depot, it is a favorite
meeting spot for
The park has several picnic areas as well as an arbor/bandstand, bocce
ball court, horse shoe pitch, and walking path.
The Sunol Community Park/Depot Gardens was created, and is maintained
entirely by local volunteers. Please respect their efforts by leaving
it the way you found it. Use of the park is a privilege and you must
use the park in accordance to these rules.
PARK USE - The Park is
intended for use in harmony with the pastoral atmosphere of Sunol.
There is no fee to use the Park.
HOURS OF USE - The park is to be enjoyed during daylight hours.
TABLES - Tables should be returned to their original location if
moved. Do not place tables on the lawn.
TRASH AND GARBAGE - There is no garbage service for the park.
All people using the park are to clean up their area and take all their garbage
DOG OWNERS - The Park is used by a lot of children. Please clean
up after your animal.
SMOKING - Do not throw cigarette butts on the ground. Please
take them with you when you leave.
SUPERVISION OF CHILDREN - Your children should be closely supervised
for their safety and to prevent damage to plants, trees, lawn
VEHICLES - No vehicles are allowed beyond the parking lot except for
LAWN AREAS - No jump rooms, tarps or stakes are to be placed in the lawn
area. Please do not move tables to the lawn area.
FIRES - No open fires are allowed in the park. BBQ grills are provided
for your use. Do not dump the ashes on the ground.
CONDUCT - Please be considerate
of other users and local neighbors.
- The Sunol Community Park is open to the public and reservations
are generally not required for small groups.
- An entrance fee cannot be charged for any event at the park.
- The Bocce Ball / Picnic
/ BBQ area at the rear of the park cannot be reserved and is always
available to Sunol residents.
- Park Reservations require a Sunol Sponsor, either a resident or
Sunol-based non-profit organization.
- Small events for up to 25 may be reserved up to 3 months in
advance and can be made up to a week in advance, pending availability.
maximum 4 hour period may be reserved.
- Larger events must be reserved at least 3 months in advance and
require review and approval by the Friends of the Park steering committee.
- No vehicles are allowed beyond the parking lots except for
- As a Sunol Sponsor,
the Pacific Locomotive Association can make a limited number of
reservations in association with their Sunday train activities.
Please see their site, http://www.ncry.org/ for
- If you would like to sponsor an event in park by making a reservation,
please email to email@example.com
You must include:
- Resident Name or Organization
- Mailing Address
- Phone Number
- Number of Guests
- Date and Time of Event
For availability, check the calendar shown below. Up to 4 groups can
be accommodated at any time.
Use of the Sunol Community Wood Fired Oven
The members of the Sunol Wood Fired Oven Society will manage, maintain and oversee the use of the oven.
- The oven is for the sole use of established Sunol groups and organizations.
- The oven must be reserved at least two weeks in advance of the event date. Call 925.862.2915
- A NON REFUNDABLE $25 fee will be will be collected from the organization for the upkeep of the oven.
- The group can provide their own seasoned wood or the Society can provide the wood at a nominal fee
- At least one Oven Society member must be present to help operate the oven and make sure that the area is cleaned up by the group after the event.
- The Oven Society has the sole discretion to reserve the oven on behalf of Sunol organizations as to the appropriateness of the event, the weather conditions at the time of the event and to make sure that the group respects the use of the oven and the Sunol Community Park.
Friends of the Park
The Sunol Community Park is maintained and managed by the Friends
of the Park, a group of primarily Sunol residents who
are willing to donate their time and energy to the maintenance
of the park. The park is operated based on an agreement
between the Friends of the Park and the Pacific Locomotive Association.
To join the Friends, email firstname.lastname@example.org or
simply show up at one of our park workdays.
Pacific Locomotive Association
The PLA operates the Niles
Canyon Railway that operates
between Sunol and Niles. The Sunol Community Park land is leased
by the PLA from Alameda County as part of the train transportation
corridor. As a major user of the park, the PLA partially funds the
Friends of the Park, and provides insurance, water and electricity.